Are you a green driver? No, we are not referring to the color of your vehicle! Being a green driver means reducing the carbon footprint of your car. You can do this in a variety of ways, without investing in a hybrid or electric vehicle!
Here are 5 tips to be a green driver, starting now:
- Ease up on the gas and brake pedals. Accelerating and braking too quickly can reduce the number of miles you get per gallon. If you see a red light ahead, let your vehicle coast as far as possible. There is no reason to race from stoplight to stoplight around town.
- Understand when you should use your AC and when you should not. If you are driving in an under 40 mph zone, roll down the windows (assuming it is not too hot). However, if you are on the highway and going over 40mph, it is best to roll up the windows to reduce the drag.
- Avoid topping off your gas tank. You are not only losing money this way (excess gas evaporates) but also releases the excess fumes into the air. Topping off your tank can also damage your evaporative emissions system by pushing fuel into the vapor canister. Don’t do it!
- Carpool every chance you get. Whether you do so with coworkers or take turns taking the kids to school with a neighbor, carpooling saves gasoline and money.
- Take all the junk out of your trunk. Too many heavy items in your trunk will add weight (and drag) to your vehicle and reduce fuel economy. Consider removing anything that is not needed for a roadside emergency.
So what are you waiting for? Our Nevada insurance agency hopes you find these 5 tips to be a green driver helpful.
Lastly, let us help you find “green” auto insurance by providing the best possible rates without generating any paperwork! We can work with over the phone and send documents to you electronically. You don’t have to drive to our office and we don’t kill any trees in the process! Call us today for a free quote!