Fourth of July can be a great holiday to celebrate…but with the common use of fireworks, it can also be a dangerous holiday. The safest way to enjoy fireworks is through a public display where there are professionals are handling the fireworks, such as one of the many free fireworks shows around Las Vegas.
If you are doing a private firework show for your family, here are some tips to protect your home, keep your family safe, and a avoid a 4th of July insurance claim:
- Only use Safe and Sane fireworks (nothing that explodes or shoots into the air is Safe and Sane)
- ALWAYS keep water nearby (i.e. a hose, or a large bucket of water)
- Soak fireworks before throwing them away. You can even leave the fireworks out overnight before throwing them away.
- Only light fireworks outdoors, away from buildings, dry leaves or brush, and from anything flammable.
- Do not try to alter fireworks or attempt to use homemade fireworks.
- Do not try to re-light a dud, wait 20 minutes and then soak it in water before throwing it away.
- Do not give fireworks to children and only children over 12 years of age should handle sparklers.
- Don’t throw fireworks at other people.
- Don’t carry fireworks in your pocket – sitting or bending can damage the fireworks.
- Do not shoot fireworks out of a metal or glass container.
- Alcohol consumption and lighting fireworks do not mix.
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
If you follow these rules, combined with common sense, you are on your way to a safe 4th of July firework celebration. If you are looking for some great places near Las Vegas to see free (and awesome) fireworks show, check out our blog article.
Have questions about other ways to keep your home and family safe during the 4th of July festivities? Contact the professionals at Safeguard Insurance for help with all types of home, auto, and other personal insurance.