Las Vegas is in the heart of the Mohave Desert and offers motorcyclists year-round riding weather and many incredible destinations perfect for visiting on two wheels. Here are some of the best motorcycle rides near Las Vegas, compiled by our staff that love motorcycle riding.
Valley of Fire To Hoover Dam
This is a great 1-day ride that winds through some of the most spectacular scenery in the Las Vegas area. Valley of Fire is a 40,000-acre state park filled with bright red and white sandstones. The Valley of Fire highway is a relaxed twisty ride and has plenty of sight-seeing stops along the way. Follow the road to the park exit and then pick up the speed a bit on Northshore road around Lake Mead. This road offers good views of the lake with its own beautiful and rugged scenery. Northshore road intersects with Lakeshore road and ends at US Highway 93. Take that road to the Hoover Dam and spend some time at the visitors center or take one of the tours deep into the heart of one of the wonders of modern engineering.
- I-15 north towards St. George. Exit 75 and head east (Valley of Fire Hwy).
- Continue on Valley of Fire Hwy to State Route 167 (Northshore Rd). Turn R or SE.
- Continue on Northshore Rd to Lakeshore Rd and turn L or North towards Boulder City.
- Follow Lakeshore Rd to US93 and then turn L or East towards Hoover Dam. Follow the signs to exit on State Route 172 and drive across the top of Hoover Dam.
Photo by Cara Fuller on Unsplash
The Oatman Arizona Run
Oatman Arizona is a town that time has forgotten. Originally a small mining camp, it is now a tourist stop along Old Route 66. The town has retained the look and feel of its mining camp roots, right down to wooden sidewalks and wild burros roaming the streets. The roads leading in and out of Oatman are twisty and perfect for a spirited motorcycle ride.
- From Las Vegas take US95 south towards Laughlin/Needles.
- Exit at Hwy 163, the Laughlin turn-off, and head east.
- From Laughlin head south on 95-Alt (Mohave Valley Hwy) past the town of Fort Mohave.
- Turn left/east at Boundry Cone Rd (Oatman Rd) and follow the signs all the way to Oatman.
- Leaving Oatman we recommend taking Oatman Rd (Hwy 10) East and intersecting with I-40 to Kingman.
- From Kingman take US93 back to Las Vegas.
Photo by Ryan Dye
Old US Highway 91 To Zion
This ride traverses some of the most breathtaking scenery in the Southwest and can be done over 1 or 2 days, depending on how saddle-worn your rear end is. Before I-15 carved a faster road through the Virgin River Gorge, US Highway 91 was the only route between Las Vegas and Southern Utah. Taking Highway 91 adds a few hours to this ride but the extra time is worth it. This ride might be better over 2 days. Consider staying in Springdale UT or inside Zion National Park overnight.
This route takes you thru several small towns outside of the St. George area including Gunlock, Veyo, and Dameron Valley. You will also have a spectacular view of Snow Canyon on Hwy 18 and Red Hills Parkway.
- From Las Vegas take I-15 north to the Beaver Dam Exit (exit 8).
- Turn left/north onto Hwy 91 and follow the road thru Beaver Dam
- Continue on Hwy 91 to the Gunlock Drive intersection and make a hard left/north.
- Follow Gunlock Drive past the reservoir and follow the signs to Veyo UT.
- At Veyo UT, turn right/south onto Hwy 18 and follow the route until you reach Red Hills Parkway.
- Follow Red Hills Pkwy back to I-15 and head north on I-15 towards Hurricane UT.
- Take exit 16 towards Hurricane/Zion NP and head southeast on Hwy 9.
- Stay on Hwy 9 thru Hurricane and LaVerkin. Watch for the signs in LaVerkin for the turn on Hwy 9 to Zion.
- Hwy 9 twists and turns as it follows the Virgin River thru several quaint small towns including Grafton, Rockville, and Springdale UT.
- Spend the day in Zion seeing the sights and, if time permits, ride Hwy 9 thru the Zion backcountry all the way to US 89 and back.
Photo by Ana Filipa Neves on Unsplash
Lastly, before heading out on any motorcycle ride, make sure you have the best motorcycle insurance available. At Safeguard Insurance, we work with several A-rated providers of comprehensive motorcycle insurance including Acuity, Progressive, Dairyland, American Modern, Nationwide, and Safeco. Our plans include coverage for your riding gear, custom parts, and roadside assistance. We understand the needs of motorcyclists and can help you find the right motorcycle at the best possible price.