It is common knowledge that manufacturers need products liability insurance to protect themselves from claims of injury, death or property damage. Even well-designed products with proper instructions and warnings can be alleged defective. A product liability lawsuit can cost millions of dollars to defend and settle. To protect your business, you need products liability insurance from an agent that understands your operation.
Best Product Liability Insurance
In reality, products liability insurance is simply a general liability policy that provides coverage for injury, death or property damage caused by the use of a particular product.
It is not only manufacturing businesses that need products liability. In reality, any business in the stream of commerce – including wholesalers and retailers – can be named in a product liability suit. Importers of products also typically need to carry products liability insurance. Ensuring your company has the right general liability insurance, including products coverage, is critical to protecting your operation.
Product Liability Insurance Examples
Examples of product liability insurance claims a manufacturer might face include:
- Defectively Manufactured Products. These claims allege your product was made incorrectly, such as a flaw in the manufacturing process. The product that caused injury or damage was somehow different from the others made or sold at the same time. An example would be a batch of ice cream that was contaminated while being produced and caused sickness or death.
- Defectively Designed Products. An injured party may claim your product design was inherently dangerous or defective. These are not manufacturing mistakes, rather a claim based on faulty design. An example would be a toy that contains small, breakable parts that present a choking hazard to children.
- Inadequate Warnings or Instructions. An injured party may allege your instructions were not written clearly or did not provide adequate warnings about the use of the product. These claims do not generally accuse the manufacturer of making a defective product. An example would be a power-tool that does not include instructions for safe use and handling. Another example would be an allergy medication that does not warn against possible side effects.
What Types of Product Liability Insurance Do I Need?
At Safeguard Insurance, we have been providing comprehensive products liability insurance for over 15 years. We have worked with all types of businesses that manufacture, distribute or sell products. We have relationships with several insurance carriers that specialize in products liability insurance. Our agents can provide coverage for:
- General liability including premise and products coverage
- Discontinued products liability
- Product recall insurance
- Umbrella or excess liability with limits up to $50 million
- Professional liability for design and engineering
- Aviation or aircraft products liability (non-military products)
- Commercial auto insurance
- Commercial property insurance for buildings, improvements, and contents
- Workers compensation programs for manufacturers and distributors
Get a Products Liability Insurance Quote
For a no-obligation review of your product liability insurance, contact Ryan Dye at 702.508.9253 or complete the request form on this page.
Safeguard Insurance is located in Las Vegas, NV. We provide product liability insurance quotes in Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and California